Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." -Proverbs 19:21

I have had a paycheck kind of job since I was 13 years old. Since I've only been a stay at home mom for 9 months, it is taking me some time to associate stay at home mommy accomplishments with going to an office and collecting a paycheck accomplishment. Being a stay at home mom was never in my career plans.

I am very guilty of I associating earning a paycheck with accomplishment. Back in the day, I refused to enroll in direct deposit, because I truly enjoyed going to the bank and depositing my check. (We have really cool bank tellers too.) Getting in the car and driving to work always made me feel like I was important. I was assigned to a role and was there to accomplish my goals for the day. I usually even felt guilty about taking a vacation, because I felt like leaving my position was burden on the person who would have to cover for me. People knowing they could depend on my made me feel accomplished. Ok, so common sense would tell that the whole stay at home mommy job IS the ultimate task of people depending on me. And yet, the old me still needs some sort of reminder.

When I read Wendy's blog: Practical Theology for Women: Accomplishment Verses Relationship I was reminded!!!! Her words are so honest and inspiring.

I was inspired to write myself a little accomplishment list (my paycheck for the day....)

*Fed my beautiful baby girl all but one of her bottles today. (Happily shared the "job" with Daddy)
*Fed the cats.
*Pulled the car over so that my 2 year old could see the wildflowers that "match my dress, mommy!"
*Took her up on her invitation to sit down and "play playdoh mommy!" Her smile is like an added work perk!
*Spent time in the floor encouraging Baby K during her tummy time and cheering her on when she pushed the buttons on her toy piano.
*Seeing my baby roll over on her side for the first time and getting to share the excitement with Kendall, Pee Paw and Daddy!!!
*Texted a friend to confirm lunch plans.
*Gave Kendall her bath and let her dump water on my head.
* Read to Kendall and sang our nite-nite songs.
*Took time to to rub my cat and enjoy how loudly he purrs anytime I even look at him.
* Got a load of dishes washed and put away. ;)
*Spent some cuddle time with my hubby!

Wow, what a successful day!!!

Thanks so much, Wendy, for being SO honest with your feelings and insight. Your "lecture to yourself" has really inspired me today and getting to blog about it was like depositing my paycheck in the bank! I will end my evening with my nightly meeting with God and then dream about tomorrows BIG accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment