Friday, April 17, 2009

Spring is here and the Bluebonnets are in FULL bloom. I love it!!! 

Our girls got their first Bluebonnet pictures, yesterday! (its Texas tradition) I hadn't planned on stopping but when Kendall said, "mommy, look at all the pretty flowers!" I HAD to stop. It was SUPER COOL to see her running around in the field, trying her best to avoid stepping on any. We were talking about how Bluebonnets are the state flower of Texas, when I was faced with one of those parent dilemmas. Do I tell her that it is illegal to pick Bluebonnets in Texas? I grew up believing that it is and honestly believed it until I was in college. If you are scratching your head in disbelief, click here. 

Its pretty much a Texas Tradition to believe that its illegal to pick our State Flower and no real Texan would actually do it BUT do I want my girls to walk around thinking its a punishable offense? Thankfully, she didn't ask if we could pick one SO I have another year to decide. 

By the way, I also read that it is not illegal to hunt armadillos in Texas. Are you kidding me? Do people really hunt armadillos?  I can't quite get a visual of my man sitting with his buddies in their camo waiting to shoot an armadillo. It doesn't just seem very challenging.... do you chase after them on your knees to make it fair? Do people eat armadillo? I don't think I've ever seen it on the menu at Love and War In Texas. (Ok, I just did a google search and there ARE armadillo recipes.)  Ugh, I think I'll have to pass.  
Hugs, 
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment