Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Football Field Halloween Costume




The week before Halloween we were invited to an adult Halloween party. The hubby doesn't get really fired up about costumes so I had to come up with an idea that wasn't too complex. (that would explain the VERY homemade looking King Triton above.)

A couple of years ago I dressed up like a golf course for Halloween. I bought astroturf from Lowes (they sell it in the carpet section) and cut it in a long strip with a hole for my head. I glued some sand paper on as the "sand trap" and glued on some plastic golf balls. For my hat I glued a toy putting hole on a headband with the flag sticking out from the top. I carried the toy golf bag and clubs along for effect. (I so wish I had a photo, it was a cute idea.)

This year I decided to dress like a football field. A great idea because we both love college football and there are so many easy ways the hubby can match...ref, football player, coach, fan. I think this might be fun to do in the future and have the girls dress up like cheerleaders.

I originally cut a "dress" out of more astroturf from Lowe's but it was shedding all over the place and I didn't want to leave a trail everywhere I went. (not a good idea with a crawling baby in the house.)

I saw these really cool tablecloths that look like grass at Party City and thought it would be perfect and much cheaper. I cut a "dress" out of the table cloth and used white duct tape to make the yard lines. (They sell it at Lowe's) Stuck on pre-cut numbers and red letters to put Texas Tech and Red Raiders in the end zones. (MJ Designs)
I originally tried zip ties to hold the dress sides together but the tablecloth kept tearing, so I had the hubby just run big pieces of white duct tape up the sides. He basically taped the dress on me.

To make the goal post crown, I flipped a foam visor (also from MJ Designs) over and cut it into the shape of a goal post. The green socks and the hubby's ref shirt are from Dick's Sporting Goods The green wrist sweat bands are from Hot Topic.

FUN!!!


My friend that is dressed like a Bee needed a costume idea for her husband. I suggested he be a bee keeper. He found the hat on a bee keeper website and had Bee Keeper and his name embroidered on his shirt. Super cute couple costume idea.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment